What is a timesheet template?
A timesheet template is a document with a predefined page layout that allows businesses to record employee working hours, breaks, and time off more easily. A standard timesheet template includes elements like:
- Employee name
- Number of hours worked
- Hourly pay rate
- Task or shift
- Clock in and clock out times
- Paid and unpaid breaks
- Paid or unpaid time off
- Estimated wages per employee
Benefits of using a timesheet template
There are several advantages to using a timesheet template for your time tracking needs. Here are a few of the most important.
Major time saver
Timesheet templates give you the foundational systems you need to keep work on track and stay compliant with state and federal labor laws. They mean you don’t need to create your own timesheet documents from scratch but can dedicate your time to what matters most.
Beginner-friendly and easy to use
Using a timesheet template is much easier than creating one yourself, especially if you have to figure out which elements to record in order to stay compliant and streamline your payroll process. With a pre-made timesheet, all the information is already there. All you need to do is enter the data.
Free or very affordably priced
Unlike Homebase, some timesheet software isn’t affordable for small businesses that already have tighter profit margins. Timesheet templates, on the other hand, are often free or cost very little. And once you download the document, you can use it over and over again.
A good stepping stone before you start using more advanced software
Getting started with new software, learning the ropes, and bringing your whole team on board can be a daunting task. Timesheet templates help ease the transition for you and your staff so you can get your feet wet before committing to a more advanced solution.
Homebase’s free employee timesheet template
With a completed timesheet, you and your team members will know exactly how much they should get paid, how many hours they worked, and whether or not they accrued any overtime. Here’s what you need to know about our particular timesheet template:
- To give you and your managerial team extra flexibility, it doesn’t include any wage rate information. This way, managers who don’t have access to wage rates can still fill out the timesheets.
- Employees sometimes work multiple roles with different wages for each. There are also holiday and other special pay rates to keep in mind. Our template takes these differences into account and lets you calculate various rates with ease.
- Paper timesheets are a great starting point, but they don’t free up nearly as much time. Homebase can save you five hours every week and eliminates the need for paper timesheets for free by calculating hours and wages automatically, tracking your labor costs in real time, and reducing errors when running payroll. Ready to give us a try?